AHA! Resource List
AHA! maintains a comprehensive list of humane resources in our region. To find a referral to an organization or individual that can help you with your animal issue (domestic or wildlife), call us at 847-960-8689.
If you know of a resource you’d like to recommend—be it an individual, a spay/neuter clinic, a subject matter expert, a website, an organization, a book, or other resource—please contact us to tell us about it.
Here are a few of our favorite resources for you to check out.
Feral Cat Information
TNR (Trap-Neuter-Return) Assistance
- Lake County. Spay and Stay is Lake County’s resource for all things TNR (trap/neuter/return). Low cost spay neuter for ferals, sheltering advice, and many more resources. http://www.spayandstay.org.
- McHenry County. Contact Animal Outreach Society’s Feral Friends Program.
- Pre-made shelter you can order. http://www.feralvilla.com/
- Lightweight and easy to make: http://www.neighborhoodcats.org/HOW_TO_FERAL_CAT_WINTER_SHELTER
- Plans for a substantial, build-your-own shelter are found here.
- Clever shelter using easy-to-find materials: http://www.spayandstay.org/wintershelter.htm
Feral Cat Reference
- Alley Cat Allies is the national feral cat organization. Be sure to check out their Feral Friends network to locate feral cat programs in your area. http://www.alleycat.org
- Humane Society of the United States feral cat site: http://www.humanesociety.org/feralcats
- Feral Friends TNR Program: http://www.treehouseferalfriends.blogspot.com
- For a list of clinics in the Chicagoland area who will sterilize ferals: http://www.tnrchicago.org/clinics/
Holistic Pet Care
- For a good basic primer on pet nutrition, visit All the Best Pet Care‘s pet nutrition library. http://www.allthebestpetcare.com/information-library/
- The American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association website includes a search feature for locating a holistic vet in your area. http://www.ahvma.org/
- Animal Wellness Magazine is a great resource for holistic pet care. http://www.animalwellnessmagazine.com/index.php
- Dr. Pitcairn’s fabulous book Natural Health for Dogs and Cats should be in every pet owner’s library.
- Healthy Pet Net features high quality dog and cat food, supplements, and pet safe cleaning products. http://www.healthypetnet.com
- The Whole Dog Journal helps you achieve total wellness for your dog.
- Dr. Martin Goldstein’s book The Nature of Animal Healing is one of AHA!’s faves.
Did you know that there are rescue groups that work to rescue specific breeds? The Chicagoland Tails magazine website maintains a list of these rescue groups for dogs, cats, birds, horses, and rabbits:
- Dogs: http://www.tailsinc.com/resources/chicago-dog-breed-rescue-groups/
- Cats: http://www.tailsinc.com/resources/chicago-cat-breed-rescue-groups/
- Horses: http://www.tailsinc.com/resources/chicago-horse-rescue-groups/
- Birds: http://www.tailsinc.com/resources/chicago-bird-rescue-groups/
- Rabbits: http://www.tailsinc.com/resources/chicago-rabbit-rescue-groups/
Chicagoland Tails is publication of Tails Pet Media Group, which publishes a monthly magazine “celebrating the relationship between pets and their people” in many regions across the United States, including LA, St. Louis, Philadelphia, and many more. For a list of areas served, visit http://www.tailsinc.com/.
Wildlife Rescue, Rehab, and Information
- AHA!’s Wildlife Resource List for northern Illinois: http://www.ahaworks.org/Wildlife_Resource_List.pdf
- Flint Creek Wildlife Rehabilitation: http://www.flintcreekwildlife.org/
- Information about the wonderful Fellow Mortals Wildlife Rehabilitation organization can be found at http://www.fellowmortals.org/.
- The Best Friends Animal Hospital in Grayslake is a resource for living with wildlife in Lake County.
- The book Wild Neighbors tells how to live harmoniously with your neighborhood wildlife.
Really Good Pet Food
- Wysong. Wysong has been around a long time and knows natural pet nutrition.
- Life’s Abundance.
- Professional Pet Sitter Lucy Swinton’s website shares her first-hand experiences with various cat foods and cat health.
- Lisa A. Pierson, DVM explains feline diabetes.
- Cat Food Nutrition Calculator
Animal Advocacy and Connections
- A no-kill nation is within our reach. Visit the No Kill Advocacy center to see how. http://www.nokilladvocacycenter.org/
- Read Nathan Winograd’s book Redemption to learn more about achieving a no-kill nation.
- The Animal Legal Defense Fund has been winning cases on behalf of animals for more than 25 years. http://www.aldf.org/
- Farm animal reform is brought to light by wonderful organizations like The Farm Sanctuary. http://www.farmsanctuary.org/
- The Best Friends Network is a great place to connect with other animal lovers nationwide. http://network.bestfriends.org/
Pet Care and Pet Behavior
- Why do pets need dental care? Check out the reasons, and lots of great advice, here: https://www.emergencydentistsusa.com/pet-dental-care/
- Cats International website: http://www.catsinternational.org/index.html
- Cats International behavior hotline: 262-375-8852.
- Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine publishes an excellent cat health and behavior newsletter called Cat Watch. For more info: http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/catwatch.htm